Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Tax Season

Yes! It's time to file taxes! Unlike back home it's about a ten minute event to file taxes here in Taiwan. You take your little white tax invoice from your employer as well as last year's receipt and fill out the first two lines of the tax form, give them to the clerk and the rest is done for you. Voila! In three months, you will be receiving 4% of the 10% taxes the government withholds from your income. Why does it have to be so much more complicated back home?
After filing taxes at the Taipei City Tax Office in Ximending, Mal, Eddie, Laurie and I headed to Ikea. I finally got some pants hangers to hang those damn posters I got from the Fine Arts Museum that have been sitting frameless in my room for the past two months. The hangers work like a charm since the posters are double sided and I can easily flip them around in a second if I get tired of that image. I'm actually quite proud of that idea.
Went to my Chinese lesson with Alice. She's so nice. She must like me a lot because she's always giving me things. Today, she treated me to a cup of coffee with the money I'm paying her to teach me Chinese. I tried to refuse but she just wouldn't take the extra money I gave her.
After work, went to a really nice lounge next to Caves Bookstore for Laurie's birthday. I would have never noticed it because the entrance was somewhat hidden. But man, nice place! I wish I had my digital with me because the lighting was beautiful inside.

No comments: