Monday, February 21, 2005

Weekend happenings

So on Saturday I met up with my two new private students. The circumstances under which I was hired was a bit sketchy so I took Malcolm with me to make sure I wasn't kidnapped or anything. I had no idea how the woman found my cell phone number or how she knew I was even a teacher. She said that someone from the school gave her my number but couldn't recall the name of the person. It turned out to be a legitimate job and the two teenaged kids along with their mother ended up to be nice people. I said I'd charge them 800 NT per hour because that's what I charged my other private but now I'm having some regrets. I'm thinking perhaps I should charge them more because it's for two kids not only one. On top of that, it's on a Saturday night. (Not that I have much of an active life anyway.) The mother now wants to extend the lesson another half hour because she thinks an hour is insufficient. I said I'd give her an answer next week.
Afterwards Mal and I went to a hot pot place where I almost burned down the shop. I don't usually like to eat soup that is boiling at the time so while Mal was getting some rice, I tried to lift the small pot with some napkins to blow out the fire. The pot was missing a handle but I didn't think it would be a problem. "I'll just hold the edge of the pot. No sweat." I succeeded in putting that fire out but before I knew it, one of the napkins caught on fire. I tried to put batting the napkin with the other napkin and then they were both on fire. By then, I'm screaming and batting this ball of fire in front of me with my hands. It was like a comedy act. Finally, one of the workers came with a wet towel and put it out, ashes flying all over the place, into the rice, onto my clothes. Well, that was dinner.
We went to see A Very Long Engagement after that. It was good. More gruesome that I expected but a really nice story. I ended up crying by the end, too.
These past couple of days have been really miserable and dreary out. Nonstop cold rain. So on Sunday I suggested that we go to a hot spring. Perfect weather for it and we hadn't yet been to one this season. Ended up waiting more that a half an hour in line in the rain to sit in a tiny closet sized bathtub for forty minutes. It was my fault. We should have gone to our usual location with the large interior, shower, and jacuzzi sized tub.
Later we went back to his place because I wanted to scan some slides that I took in Kending. I had never used slide film so I was told to under expose when taking pictures. So what I did was set my camera to 200 speed even though my slide film was ISO 100. After I got the slides back from the shop, I was really excited. By looking through them into the light, the colors looked fantastic but after scanning them at Malcolm's, I realized each and every picture I took on my vacation to Kending was under exposed. It was like someone kicked me in the stomach. This feeling of deep loss. I shot over a hundred exposures. I think some of them can be saved with photoshop but sitting in front of a computer fixing images is not my idea of true photography. I don't think I'll be shooting with slide film too much anymore because of this and also because the stores don't scan the photos for you when shooting slide. I just have to find a film with really deep color saturation.
Work was alright today. M2 went smoothly though we got Andy from half-day class. He's a really annoying kid. Had my oral test with K12. That class is finally over. We got a new student in my M5 class who has some kind of disability. He has a hole in his throat to breath and one side of his head is deformed. I had seen him around school so I guess he failed into our class. I had to stop a game because he was always the last one to sit down. I was getting mad a him because he wasn't following along with the other students when reviewing sentence patterns. And when the students were doing a survey activity, he walked around the class and avoided everybody. I'm not sure if I should yell at him when not doing the assigned work as I would do to any other kid or if I should turn a blind eye when he doesn't pay attention. He won't learn anything if I do that but I guess I shouldn't set the same standard as I do with the others. Hmm...

No comments: