Saturday, March 26, 2005

Update on my poor neck

Last night after kung fu class, I told my master what Dr. Yan had done and asked if that was normal. He cupped his hand and asked if he hit me like this. He made that familiar whacking sound.
I jumped, "Yes!"
He explained that the body had passage ways in which energy moved through. "There are points all over your body, like here." He squeezed that webbed part between my thumb and my index finger.
"D ouch!"
"The biggest one is in the back of your neck. If you get a cold (which I had a few weeks ago), it can become stuck. Do you sleep late?"
"Uh, yeah."
"like 2 or 3 in the morning?"
"Yeah! How do you know?"
"If you sleep late, that bone (he shows me) can become uncomfortable. I know because I do the same thing. So try to sleep earlier and if you have a cold you can hit your neck by yourself to help circulation. That's why the doctor did that."

Last night I tried to go to sleep a bit earlier but it wasn't easy being that I got up around noon that day. I think I fell asleep a little after one a.m. and this morning I woke up a bit earlier than I had expected, due to construction going on in the next building. Sure enough, my neck was feeling much better. ??But, but, how can this be?? I had always thought as long as I was getting at least eight hours of sleep, it was healthy.
Don't get me wrong. I came here with the biggest skepticism about Chinese medicine which is why it took me two and a half years to finally give it a try. This experience may not have completely dissipated my ideas about this form of treatment but it's definitely opened my eyes. There's also the fact that I believe my kung fu teacher may have supernatural powers. He's no Bruce Lee but he can do things that normal people cannot do.

1 comment:

MommyCakes said...

I know what you mean about the asian medicine type. I've had chronic hives for the past 6 months and finally I decided to try this herbal medicine that a doctor in China made up for my condition. I had it mad in the US and it was the worst tasting thing I've ever put in my mouth. All other things I've tried just made things worse but 3 hours later, my hives were gone. Weird, huh? I hope you feel better...